Fairtrade Big Bake Competition

We think that baking tastes better when shared, so the Foodies100 is challenging our members to inspire the nation and cook for someone else with a Big Fair Bake.

Friends, family, colleagues, whoever you choose, by buying and baking with Fairtrade ingredients, you’re making a big difference to whole farming communities in developing countries too.

We need your help to spread the word.

Why? Because baking with Fairtrade ingredients is one easy way for everyone to make a difference to millions of people who desperately need a better deal from trade. Without a fair price for the crops they grow, many farmers struggle to support their families. Fairtrade offers farmers and workers the safety net of a fair price today and a little extra to invest in projects which benefit the whole community, such as clean water, education and health care.

The Big Fair Bake is part of our year-long Take a Step campaign, which aims to get the UK to take a total of 1.5 million steps for Fairtrade in 2012, a step for every farmer and worker in the Fairtrade system we aim to work with.

A step can be small, like switching your tea to Fairtrade or baking with Fairtrade ingredients or a larger one like holding an event. Every single one counts, because together they lead to life-changing projects in developing countries.

How You Can Get Involved

As part of the campaign, we’re inviting Foodies100 bloggers to develop a baking creation inspired by one (or more!) of the following Fairtrade certified ingredients:

• Honey
  • Chocolate (or Cocoa Powder)
  • Raisins
  • Coffee
  • Bananas
  • Cinnamon
  • Apricots
  • Ginger
  • Brazil Nuts

Fairtrade sugar is not on the list (because that wouldn’t be a challenge!) but obviously if sugar is present we hope you will use readily available Fairtrade certified sugar. You can find out where to buy it, and the other ingredients listed here.

A Fantastic Prize!

The best Fairtrade baking creation from a Foodies100 food blogger will win a set of signed celebrity recipe books from chefs such as Levi Roots and Allegra McEvedy, along with £200 worth of Tala baking equipment and a fantastic Big Fair Bake goodie bag packed with Fairtrade baking ingredients including chocolate, nuts and dried fruit, bakeware, cake decorations, and complimentary Fairtrade products to enjoy with your baking, including teas and coffees.

19 lucky runners up will also receive a Big Fair Bake goodie bag.

Your Readers Can Win Too!

As part of the Take a Step campaign, we’re offering everyone who buys and bakes with Fairtrade ingredients a chance of winning a fabulous KitchenAid blender. All they have to do is visit the Fairtrade website and tell us who they’re baking for. Simple!

How to take part in the challenge

All you need to do is get creative and get baking with one or more of the Fairtrade ingredients listed above, then post your recipe online and tweet a link to it using the hashtag #bakeitfair. Make sure you’re following us @foodies100 and @tots100 to see other recipes using Fairtrade ingredients!

In your entry, we’d ask you to include a short sentence letting your readers know you’re supporting the Fairtrade cause, perhaps by including a list of the Fairtrade ingredients used in your recipe, along with a link to our website. You may also use the Big Fair Bake logo, which is below! (just right click on the image to save to your computer, and insert the badge into your post)

Posts must be published before 5pm on October 8, 2012.

Written by Foodies100

Sally is the publisher of Foodies100, the UK’s largest directory of brilliant UK food and drink blogs and bloggers. Every day of the week, we promote the UK’s best and most exciting blogs about food and drink.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

34 Comments

1. Posted 9 September 2012 at 7:58 pm | Permalink

its a times like this I wish I was more artistic with my creations, my stuff may taste good but never looks fab enough, but i will enter anyway

2. Posted 9 September 2012 at 10:02 pm | Permalink

I do love this as a challenge and will be thinking of what to enter. All for the idea of supporting Fair Trade and how it can make such a difference :-)

3. Posted 10 September 2012 at 7:52 pm | Permalink

Great challenge – what’s the end date?

4. Posted 12 September 2012 at 1:41 pm | Permalink

Excellent! I will get my thinking cap on!

5. Posted 12 September 2012 at 6:51 pm | Permalink

Oh baking my favourite, I ‘ll get thinking what I can make :-)

6. Posted 12 September 2012 at 9:51 pm | Permalink

Ohh, can I add a blog post that’s already been posted – if I add in some details about the challenge? The post is for a recipe I cooked this week from a Fair Trade cook book using 2 Fairtrade ingredients from the list..

• Posted 17 September 2012 at 11:59 am | Permalink

That would be great!

• Posted 17 September 2012 at 9:01 pm | Permalink

Yes it would be but I’ve just realised that the post I had in mind is a dessert that doesn’t involve any baking at all! So I’m not sure it would count in a baking feature! Doh!

7. Posted 18 September 2012 at 7:45 pm | Permalink

Does this have to be an original recipe? I’ve adapted one from the Good Food website and made it my own, but would this count?

• Posted 19 September 2012 at 11:36 am | Permalink

Hi Choclette, the usual rules apply – an adapted recipe is fine as long as you respect copyright and have changed/added some ingredients and written it in your own words.

8. Posted 19 September 2012 at 10:49 am | Permalink

Hi there – chocolate cake with honey glaze icing (aka dogcatcher cake) now blogged with fairtrade ingredients http://recipe-junkie.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/fairtrade-chocolate-cake-with-honey.html

9. Posted 19 September 2012 at 1:43 pm | Permalink

Great idea. I’m glad I’ve seen this and still have time to enter!

10. Posted 19 September 2012 at 9:13 pm | Permalink

Ooh almost forgot, must get onto this one while there’s still time. I think I have the perfect recipe too :)

11. Posted 20 September 2012 at 3:45 pm | Permalink

Fair Trade Cakepops baked for the inaugural meeting of Pinnies and Petticoats Aberdeen Baking Club

12. Posted 20 September 2012 at 4:51 pm | Permalink
  13. Posted 20 September 2012 at 11:04 pm | Permalink
  14. Posted 21 September 2012 at 2:14 pm | Permalink

Just entered with my Campari & Orange Dazzle cake!
    Hope you like it xx

15. Posted 22 September 2012 at 4:24 pm | Permalink

Just done mine and delivered a huge slab to the old lady who lives on the corner and is a bit of a surrogate granny to the kids ! : http://madhousefamilyreviews.blogspot.com/2012/09/our-entry-for-fairtrade-big-fair-bake.html

16. Posted 23 September 2012 at 12:00 am | Permalink

Have finally done my post, Enjoy (well I hope you do) http://wp.me/p2B9HX-UC

17. Posted 23 September 2012 at 12:01 pm | Permalink

Just finished my post lovely Apple and Cinnamon Cake

Enjoy !
    Angela

18. Posted 24 September 2012 at 9:09 am | Permalink

Baking now hope I can get the blog done in time. What time today is cut off?

• Posted 26 September 2012 at 10:01 am | Permalink

Sorry Heidi, I missed this. Hope you got it baked in time :-)

19. Posted 1 October 2012 at 1:01 pm | Permalink

Here is mine!

The Big Fair Bake and Tropical Wholefoods: Tropical Fruit Flapjack Slices for a Tea Time Treat!

20. Posted 7 October 2012 at 6:01 pm | Permalink
  21. Posted 18 October 2012 at 7:30 am | Permalink

Has the winner and runners up for this been announced?

• Posted 18 October 2012 at 11:43 am | Permalink

Not yet! The judges are still deciding from all the amazing entries, but there should be news soon…

6 Trackbacks

1. Pingback from Campari & Orange Dazzle Cake on 21 September 2012 at 12:57 pm
  2. Pingback from Egg-Free Upside-Down Banana Cake « beesteas on 23 September 2012 at 5:50 pm
  3. Pingback from Homemade Nibbles & News #2 | homemadebyfleur.co.uk on 4 October 2012 at 8:56 pm
  4. Pingback from Faitrade Big Fair Bake Challenge: Fruity Flapjack Bites #bakeitfair « Lilinha Angel's World on 7 October 2012 at 5:47 pm
  5. Pingback from Bakefair competition winners revealed! | Tots 100 on 7 November 2012 at 4:15 pm
  6. Pingback from Bake It Fair Winner! | Foodies 100 on 7 November 2012 at 4:35 pm