Over the past few years, the number of UK food blogs has continued to grow steadily and there is a wide range of wonderful and inspiring blogs out there, both from well-established bloggers and those who are new on the scene. But what are the issues that new food bloggers are facing and what tips can those of you who have been around a while offer to help them out?
We thought we would put together a few tips that may be useful, but feel free to pitch in and add a comment to share your top tips. What did you want to know when you first started your food blog?
1. Write about what you love. This may seem obvious, but sometimes bloggers feel a pressure to write about things that they think people will want to read and not what interests them. If you write about things that you enjoy, whether it is recipes, cookbook reviews or places you like to eat out, then people will sense your interest and want to read your blog.
2. Use photos in your posts. You don’t need an amazing camera but do take some time to take the best picture of your dish that you can. Readers love to see photos and a good picture really gives you a feel for what the food is like. Earlier in the year Ren from Fabulicious Food wrote some top tips for food styling that may be useful.
3. If you are writing recipes then make sure the instructions are very clear. Imagine you are explaining how to make the dish to someone who has never made it before. Numbered steps are often useful, as is a list of ingredients. Remember always to check you aren’t infringing copyright.
4. Get involved in the food blogging community. There are various forums you can join to get tips on blogging and ask questions. On the whole, UK food bloggers are a friendly bunch and there is always someone out there who is willing to help if you need it. Be sure to visit other people’s blogs and if you see something you like, leave them a comment.
5. Get yourself a twitter account and a facebook page. Using social media is a great way to let people know about your blog posts and also provides a fantastic opportunity to engage with like-minded people.
So, over to you. What are your top tips for new food bloggers?