Summer is finally here, the sun is shining and our attention is turning to quick, tasty summer salads.
For me, a salad should be tasty enough to be the main event at lunchtime, and thrown together with things we already have in the house.
One of my favourite salads is a fresh potato salad, made with seasonal new potatoes but when I fancy something more substantial, I love this Cobb Potato Salad recipe, which was shared with me by a lovely Canadian friend.
Please do share your favourite salad recipes using our Linky at the end of this post!
For the salad:
- 3lb thin skinned potatoes – new potatoes work well
- 1 large Romaine lettuce, roughly shredded
- 2 large avocados, stones and sliced
- 6 spring onions, sliced finely
- 4oz gorgonzola, or other blue cheese, crumbled
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, cooked and sliced finely
- Pepper, to taste
For the dressing:
- 16fl oz mixed olive oil and vinegar dressing
- 1tbsp lemon juice
- Cook the potatoes in salted, boiling water until tender. Cool, peel and cube.
- Sprinkle the warm potatoes with salt and half the dressing. Chill thoroughly.
- Sprinkle the avocado with the lemon juice.
- Arrange the Romaine lettuce on a plate, tumble on the potatoes, and top with the remaining ingredients – avocado, onion, bacon and cheese.
- Drizzle with the remaining dressing and add pepper to taste.