When you buy your first slow cooker, a whole new world of possibilities opens up to you. You realise that you can still make delicious meals on days that you’re rushed off your feet, and that actually often the slow cooking process can enhance flavours. So this week’s Ten at Ten is a nod to the slow cooker fans in the Foodies100 community. There are some fantastic ideas and recipes out there – here are some of our favourites…
- Recreating what is surely everyone’s favourite dish at Wagamama, Chrissie from Slow Cooker Queen has a brilliant chicken katsu curry recipe. It doesn’t have the breaded chicken that the fast food chain use (so it’s probably a bit healthier) and we love the sesame seeds to give the presentation that little extra something.
- Staying on the chicken theme, Dannii from Hungry Happy Healthy recently posted this slow cooker Moroccan chicken recipe. A mix of white beans, aubergine, peppers and onions, with apricots adding the sweetness, Dannii recommends serving it with cauliflower rice if you want to be super healthy.
- As Miss Messy from Mess Makes Food says in her own words, she has just revolutionised breakfast. Bold words, but take a look at her slow cooker carrot cake oatmeal. Cooked overnight, while you sleep, this would be worth getting up for, even on a Monday morning!
- You can’t beat a good hearty sausage casserole and this one from Farmersgirl Kitchen looks ace. She recommends you brown the sausages first, to avoid that pasty look. Serve with some crusty bread and bingo! Meal done.
- Rather brilliantly, Reluctant Housedad says he likes the ‘lamby’ taste of lamb breast and in this slow cooked lamb breast with chorizo stove top potatoes recipe, he’s got an easy (and tasty) Sunday lunch for his three kids.
- Rachel from Well Worn Whisk has just bought her first slow cooker, not that you’d know it from this amazing looking spiced coconut brown rice pudding on her blog. She’s added toasted almonds for some extra crunch.
- This is surely the easiest slow cooker recipe you’ll come across – Laurenne from This Mummy’s slow cooker gammon. After trying various ways of cooking gammon, she says she has hit the jackpot. Try it and let us know how you get on!
- Penelope’s chilli con carne recipe is a brilliant way to use up leftover roast beef and it’s the ultimate comfort food meal. She says, “Personally, there’s a lot to be said for a big bowl of steamed greens with this lollopped on top on my knees whilst watching Revenge.” Check out her recipe at Penelope’s Pantry.
- Here, Janey from The Hedgecombers shows us just how simple teriyaki chicken is to make. Do it in a slow cooker, and it’s ridiculously easy. She likes to eat any leftovers from this in a tortilla wrap with some gem lettuce.
- If you’re as big a chocolate fan as this Foodies100 editor is, you’ll be all over this slow cooker double chocolate speculoos puddle pudding. Tricky to say, but easy to make, Camilla from Fab Food 4 All has created a cracker of a recipe here. The only issue is whether to eat it with cream or ice cream…
What are your favourite dishes to make in a slow cooker? Comment below and share links to your favourite recipes!
If you’re interested in being a Ten at Ten contributor, and selecting your top ten posts from the Foodies100 network, email the Foodies100 editor on foodies100 [at]flea enterprises [dot]com.