Each Friday at 10am we invite a Foodies100 member to share their favourite ten posts with us. If you’d like to share some of your favourite reads then get in touch with our editor Alison at email@example.com. You’ll get a link back to your own site and other social platforms, as well as the opportunity to introduce yourself to a bunch of new readers.
This week, we have Michelle from Very Hungry Explorer doing the selection. Michelle is originally from London. She now splits her time between Brussels and the rest of the Europe. She started Very Hungry Explorer in 2009 while on a trip to Alaska, so she could stay in touch with her Mum and it all just went from there.
over to michelle…
When I was a kid, salad was iceberg lettuce, cucumber and tomato – with a good dollop of salad cream. Usually it was as a side dish to one of those individual cheese and tomato frozen pizzas from Sainsbury’s. I didn’t really think much of it, but then I watched the film Drop Dead Fred and Elizabeth mentions that she is going to make a dinner salad.
I remember asking my mum what a ‘dinner salad’ was and she explained to me that other people put different things in their salads
Ever since then I’ve had a fascination with salads, that just borders on the obsessive. I love making them, I love eating them and I especially love how there is usually very little to clean up afterwards. And so I give you ten awesome salads from Foodies100 bloggers:
- We start with a dish from Cook Sister that could actually be the definition of a ‘dinner salad’ spinach, chorizo & baby potato salad with poached egg. Tasty, nutritious, filling and it looks fabulous.
- Since I’ve started making my own hummus, I can’t get enough of it and I really can’t think of a better dish to use it in than the Middle Eastern chicken salad from Bangers & Mash.
- My husband’s boss is German, which means that every time he has a work function I get to listen to how amazing potato salads are. This recipe from Reluctant Housedad’s Recipe Shed is enough to make me believe it too!
- This Italian BLT salad from Annie’s Noms has just enough greenery for it to be healthy and just enough other ingredients for it to taste delicious – possibly the perfect combination
- As a food blogger I probably shouldn’t admit to pronouncing quinoa ‘KEY-NOAH’ for a very long time. But now that I can say it properly, I find I’m eating it even more. This quinoa salad with mint and cilantro from Coffee and Crumpets is a keeper.
- What do you get when you cross a Greek salad with pasta – yep a Greek pasta salad. It is every bit as good as it sounds. A great dish from Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary.
- So, Orange Is The New Black is one of favourite shows, which is really enough of a reason to include this fantastic Asian style carrot and cucumber salad from nava-k but it also has fresh coconut in it and to be honest, there just aren’t enough salads with coconut in.
- Lavender and Lovage has prepared the prettiest salad I have ever seen, plus it has blue cheese in it, so I’m happy! Blue cheese, borage & grilled chicken salad.
- I’m often surprised at how many restaurants get a tomato and mozzarella salad wrong… either too dry, or too much dressing, or it’s just tasteless. Recipes From A Normal Mum has it exactly right.
- I love this warm kidney bean and sweet pepper salad from Dooney’s Kitchen. It is unusual enough to bring something a little different to your dinner table, but it’s also more than likely that you’ve actually got all the ingredients in your kitchen right now!
So get your knives sharpened people… let me know which one you like most.