This month’s veggie and vegan round-up from Rachel Cotterill is all about lunchbox ideas for any kids who have recently gone back to school.
September marks the end of summer – and what a summer it’s been, with heatwave weather back to back with an almost-hurricane. The shops are still full of “back to school” deals, and it’s time to start thinking about new ways to keep lunchboxes interesting day after day.
I’m personally of the opinion that variety is key, not just for health, but for keeping fussy eaters happy. And it’s not just kids whose appetites will be improved by this selection of mouth-watering vegetarian lunch options.
Sandwiches and wraps are traditional, but don’t have to be boring: experiment with fillings until you find something that everyone loves. Salads are an obvious addition to your lunchbox repertoire, while miniature patties and sushi rolls make great finger foods that are easy to eat. Bento boxes, long popular in Japan, provide a wealth of beautiful inspiration. You can even pack a flask of soup, if you find a recipe that’s delicious cold as well as hot.
Pictured, top left to bottom right:
- Tempeh Kofte with Roasted Aubergine from Coconut and Berries
- Courgette, Blue Cheese & Cherry Tomato Quiche from Kavey Eats
- Spicy 3 Bean Sausage Rolls from Tinned Tomatoes
- Raw Korean BBQ Tacos from The Raw & The Cooked
- Panzanella with Mint & Marjoram from Busy Eating
- Spicy Vegan Dragon Rolls from Mooshu Jenne
- Curried Vegetable Flatbread from Amuse Your Bouche
- Orzo with Balsamic Tomatoes from Life Currents
- Spelt Cocoa Bread with Avocado Egg Filling from Chocolate Log Blog
- Mexican Tomato Soup from Vohn’s Vittles
And ten more ideas:
- Gobi Aloo Wrap from Vegan Richa
- Vegan Puttanesca Pizza from Delish Knowledge
- Samosa Skull Pie from Marfigs’ Munchies
- Spicy Aubergine Sushi from Connoisseurus Veg
- Plant-Based Bento from Journeys Through Meadows
- Taco Salad with Cilantro Cream Dressing from Hot For Food
- Oat & Moong Dhal Tikki from Kurryleaves
- Calzone with Sun-Dried Tomato Paste from Vegan Insanity
- Curried Chickpea & Cool Cucumber Wraps from Healthy. Happy. Life.
- Wild Rice Spinach Salad from The Garden Grazer
Enjoy! Let the Foodies100 team know what your favourite veggie lunch treats are by commenting below.
Rachel Cotterill is a freelance writer and photographer, computational linguistics PhD student, and someone who collects skills the way other people collect stamps – so far including dry-stone walling, taekwondo, sugarcraft, EFL teaching, rope-splicing, skiing & snowboarding, knitting & crochet, cooking, juggling, coppicing, and archery… the list keeps growing! You can find her blog at rachelcotterill.com and follow her on Twitter.