Helen from Casa Costello is back with another baking round-up! As a mum of two, she’s got the back to school routine on her mind, and that’s reflected in her choice of recipes this month…
I love September, it has that fresh new start feeling. The kids are enthused about their new teachers and look smart in their uniforms (at least until 9.30am!). I’m always on the look out for new ideas to make packed lunches more interesting though and try to have a steady supply of snacks for the end of the school or working day – you know, for when everyone is STARVING and couldn’t possibly survive five more minutes without food. This month’s baking round up is all about food that can be transported easily or is perfect for an afternoon snack …
Clockwise from top left:
1. Wholemeal cheddar & apple chutney soda bread from Fab Food For All
2. Black forest cherry friands from Baking Queen 74. What a lovely surprise these would be inside a lunch box!
3. Chicken, mushroom & thyme tart from Hay in a Day. Makes a change from cheese sandwiches every day?
4. White chocolate & blackcurrant blondies from All That I’m Eating
5. Cornflake tart by Fish Finger For Tea. Perfect for the after school slump?
6. Peanut & Raisin Oaty Cookies courtesy of Recipes from a Normal Mum
7. Mango Muffins from Anyonita Nibbles. I’m not sure these would even make it as far as the school gates!
8. Blueberry Shortbread Bars by Amuse Your Bouche
9. Parmesan & Basil Thins – a genius combination from Searching for Spice
10. The ultimate subsitute for sandwiches – Red Pepper and Feta Tart from Maison Cupcake
And some more …
11. Black Cherry & Chocolate Chip Mini Panettones by Mummy Mishaps
12. A First Day of School Chocolate Cake from Tinned Tomatoes – Aaw, how cute!
13. Apple, Plum & Almond Crumble Cake from More Than An Occasional Baker – perfect for when the nights are starting to draw in
14. Foccacia with Tomatoes and Olives – no more soggy sandwiches courtesy of My Little Italian Kitchen
15. Courgette & Potato Tortilla by Family-Friends-Food
16. Strawberry Custard Cupcakes from Cherished By Me – Perfect fro after a hard day at school or the office
17. Nava-K shares a Banana Bread full of energy
18. The ultimate treat, Nutella Stuffed Brown Butter Choc Chunk Cookies from Cupcake Crazy Gem
19. Show off your baking with Caraway Rye Rolls & Red Pepper Ciabatta shared by The Pink Whisk
20. And for the self Healthier Almond & Citrus Cake from Pat-a-cake 4 tea
Helen from Casa Costello is a busy mum of three from Merseyside with a fantastic blog. She is a keen cook, loves trying new recipes but her first love will always be baking. She runs the weekly Bake of the Week link up, says she loves to enter cooking challenges and admits to developing rather an addiction to Pinterest! Each month, Helen picks her favourite baking posts for us all to read and enjoy.