This month’s veggie round-up from Rachel Cotterill is all about pumpkins…
Pumpkins have always been popular as Hallowe’en decorations, probably more than they’ve ever been used for food, at least in the UK. As a child I used to make some gorgeous pumpkin cake bars, which was a great way to use up some of the filling. And of course, my mum always made pumpkin soup. But it wasn’t until I lived through fall (er, autumn) in the US that I discovered the joy of pumpkin pie.
I was also surprised by just how many pumpkin recipes there are out there. America goes really, really pumpkin-crazy. In the course of about two weeks I had pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream, pumpkin scones, pumpkin coffee, even a pint of pumpkin beer. I came home inspired to seek out more and more pumpkin ideas to try for myself.
Incidentally, it’s really hard to find recipes using metric measures, for these American classics. But be brave and buy a cheap set of measuring cups – it’ll be worth it.
The traditional “pumpkin spice mix” is actually, more so than the squash itself, the anchor for all these dishes. In fact, one or two of them don’t contain any actual pumpkin at all – but shhh, I won’t tell if you don’t. You might be able to find ready-made spice mix in the supermarket, but if not, it’s easy to mix up your own.
Pictured, top left to bottom right:
- Pumpkin Spice Mix from Add A Pinch
- Vegan Pumpkin Pie from Once Upon A Cutting Board
- Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream from Smart Cookie
- Pumpkin Spice Chocolate Chip Bites from Running to the Kitchen
- Pumpkin Ginger Snap Ice Cream Sandwiches from Sarah Hearts
- Layered Pumpkin Cheesecake from Eat It and Say Yum
- Pumpkin Blondies from Keep It Sweet Desserts
- Chocolate Pumpkin Pecan Scones from Jessica Gavin
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins from The Girl Who Ate Everything
- Pumpkin French Toast from Cooking Classy
And in case that isn’t enough, here are ten more:
- Pumpkin Tiramisu from Chef Savvy
- Pumpkin Fudge from Mrs Penguin
- Pumpkin Spice Granola from Joyful Healthy Eats
- Cinnamon Sugar Pumpkin Pretzels from Creme de la Crumb
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie from Hummusapien
- Light Pumpkin Spice Bread from A Pinch of Healthy
- Pumpkin Swiss Roll from Cooking is Messy
- Pumpkin Creme Bars from My Whole Food Life
- Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix from Averie Cooks
- Glazed Pumpkin Donuts from Confessions of a Cookbook Queen
Tweet us your favourite pumpkin recipes (we’re @foodies100) and we’ll RT our favourites!
Rachel Cotterill is a freelance writer and photographer, computational linguistics PhD student, and someone who collects skills the way other people collect stamps – so far including dry-stone walling, taekwondo, sugarcraft, EFL teaching, rope-splicing, skiing & snowboarding, knitting & crochet, cooking, juggling, coppicing, and archery… the list keeps growing! You can find her blog at rachelcotterill.com and follow her on Twitter.