Each Friday at 10am we invite a Foodies100 member to share their favourite ten posts with us. If you’d like to share some of your favourite recipes then get in touch with our editor Alison at firstname.lastname@example.org. You’ll get a link back to your own site and other social platforms, as well as the opportunity to introduce yourself to a bunch of new readers.
This week, Emma from Supper In The Suburbs has selected her top ten for us. Emma previously wrote over at Kitchen Goddess (in training!) but – in her own words – she decided to start a more refined food and lifestyle blog this time last year. “As I work in London with a hectic home and social life, the blog aims to share simple but tasty dishes that anyone can make along with reviews, crafts and other lifestyle posts,” says Emma. Following on from our pumpkin-themed veggie round-up earlier this week, Emma has picked her favourite autumnal recipes that use squash or pumpkin.
over to emma…
With Halloween just round the corner and autumn in full swing, this week I wanted to share with you some of my favourite recipes made with squash or pumpkin. Pumpkin in all its forms (roasted, pureed and canned) seems to be more of an American ingredient, with squash ruling the roost in autumnal England. Though they both come from the same family, there are subtle differences. With that said, I often swap pumpkin for squash and squash for pumpkin. If you’re after a sweet but earthy flavour either will do, and you’re guaranteed to have some of that vivid orange colour come through in your dish.
So if you too want to bring a touch of autumn to your cooking, here are some of the best recipes made with pumpkin or squash…
- First up is something savory from Ciara at My Fussy Eater – these butternut squash fries are so simple but look so delicious. The colours remind me of fallen leaves!
- This recipe for pumpkin puff pastry from Amanda at I Am Baker is incredibly simple but looks amazing. I can just imagine sinking my teeth into one of these pastries on a crisp autumn morning, all cosied up in bed!
- On to spaghetti squash oregano bake from Lavende + Lemonade. Spaghetti squash is a bit of a miracle ingredient for those watching their weight so this recipe is high on my list of favourites!
- Katie from Feeding Boys and a Firefighter has shared pumpkin, ginger and orange traybake which is perfect for sharing if you are having friends and their children round for Halloween!
- For those of us not blessed to live in the States, or know someone who does, we can now make our own pumpkin spice mix thanks to Kerry over at Kerry Cooks. This can be used in all sorts of bakes and even drinks.
- This autumn bisque by Patty at Patty Anderson’s Blog combines pumpkin, apple sauce and autumnal spices for a tasty soup.
- Another sweet recipe, it’s brown butter pumpkin streusel muffins with brown butter glaze from Two Peas & Their Pod. The brown butter glaze in particular had my mouth watering.
- Pumpkin polenta is the next dish on the list kindly shared by Chef Mimi from Chef Mimi Blog. This is a really simple dish that would sit well on any autumn dinner table.
- I love the originality of these Middle Eastern spiced butternut squash pickles from Ksenia who writes at At The Immigrant’s Table. I had never considered pickling squash before.
- Finally, roasted poblano chiles stuffed with cheesy butternut squash quinoa + pepita crema from The Bojon Gourmet, sound simply to die for. I love the sweet creaminess from the stuffing contrasted with the heat from the chiles. A real winter warmer!