This month’s veggie round up from Rachel Cotterill will come in useful if you have any vegetarians coming over for Christmas dinner.
I may be veggie, but I’m a bit of a traditionalist at heart. I want my Christmas lunch to be fully vegetarian, of course, but I also want all the recognisable trimmings: crispy roast potatoes and balls of stuffing, braised brussels sprouts and honey-roast parsnips.
That means an annual quest to find a main that works well with all the usual side dishes, while still being exciting enough to constitute a treat: it is Christmas, after all. (I’ve never forgotten the time I was served plain Quorn in cheese sauce by friends-of-friends… it’s not my favourite festive memory.
I love a good nut roast as much as the next woman, and I’ve included a couple of those, but that certainly isn’t the only option. For personal preference, I tend to lean towards something pastry-based, but I know not everyone shares my love for carbs!
Here are twenty tempting ideas – whether you’re vegetarian yourself, or just finding a seat for a veggie (or vegan!) at your Christmas dinner table, I hope this serves as helpful inspiration.
Pictured, top left to bottom right:
- Veggie & Tofu Stack from Living Loving Inspiring
- Root Vegetable Pie with Parsley Cream from Vegan Sandra
- Mini Mushroom Shepherds Pies from Killer Bunnies Inc
- Cheese & Onion Plait from Amuse Your Bouche
- Vegetarian Gluten-Free Stuffed Peppers from Jennifer’s Kitchen
- Vegetable Wellington from Serious Eats
- ‘Cheesy’ Leek & Broccoli Tartlets from Coconut & Berries
- Vegan Walnut & Almond Loaf from Veganosity
- Stuffed Baby Pumpkin from The Raw & The Cooked
- Puff Pastry Wrapped Lentil Loaf from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken
And ten more ideas:
- Vegetarian Moroccan Parcels from Domestic Sluttery
- Caramelised Shallot & Mushroom Quiche from Girl Versus Dough
- Vegetarian Winter Crumble from Caroline Makes
- Lentil & Root Vegetable Strudel from Oh My Veggies
- Kale Quinoa and Nut Roast En Croute from Circus Gardener
- Grilled Vegetable Stack with Lentils from Cook Taste Live
- Vegan Sweet Potato, Mushroom & Chard Quiche from The Colorful Kitchen
- Mushroom Leek & Ricotta Hot Water Crust Pie from Everyone Loves A Fungi
- Lentil Potato Pot Pie from Kitchengrrrls
- Kale & Tempeh Stuffed Squash from Delish Knowledge
Rachel Cotterill is a freelance writer and photographer, computational linguistics PhD student, and someone who collects skills the way other people collect stamps – so far including dry-stone walling, taekwondo, sugarcraft, EFL teaching, rope-splicing, skiing & snowboarding, knitting & crochet, cooking, juggling, coppicing, and archery… the list keeps growing! You can find her blog at rachelcotterill.com and follow her on Twitter.