Mother’s Day is very nearly here, a great way to celebrate and thank your mum for everything she does. We think that an inexpensive but personal way to treat her is a homemade afternoon tea, or an extra special dinner and what better way to kick it off than with a classic sultana scone. Don’t forget to stock up on jam and clotted cream though.
- 450g self raising flour
- 80g caster sugar
- 100g cold butter
- 284ml buttermilk
- 50g sultanas
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 220•C/Gas mark 7
- Rub the flour, butter & bicarbonate of soda together in a bowl until the mixture looks like fine breadcrumbs.
- Add the sugar to the bowl and mix.
- Add the sultanas, buttermilk and vanilla extract and mix quickly to form a dough. If too dry add a very small amount of milk
- Press, not roll the dough on a clean lightly floured surface until it is approximately 3cm thick and cut out into rounds with a 5cm cutter.
- Lightly flour a baking sheet and place the dough rounds on it leaving space for expansion.
- Brush the tops of the scones with milk
- Bake for approximately 12-15 minutes until golden
- Best served warm with jam and clotted cream.
Share Your mother’s day recipes…
We would love you to share your favourite Mother’s day recipes. For more inspiration check out last month’s Valentine’s Day recipes. Add your recipe to the link below and we will share them on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram over the next few weeks.
Get baking and cooking and make your mum’s day extra special.