For this week’s Ten at Ten I couldn’t pass up the opportunity to celebrate the Great British Pie Week with… Pie!
Pie is a rather versatile British classic that can make it to the table for just about every meal. Who doesn’t love a pork pie, or a gorgeous flaky pastry meat pie, or how about a fish pie? Then finish off with a simple apple pie. Our Foodies100 bloggers also love pie and I have managed to round up my ten favourite pie recipes.
- A traditional Apple Pie from Kavey Eats, made using a mixture of apples and a ready made shortcrust pastry. Kavey says serve the apple pie with custard, vanilla ice cream, clotted cream, double cream or a delicious clotted cream ice cream.
- Taking inspiration from Beef Wellington, Super Golden Bakes makes a delicious Steak and Mushroom Pot Pie that is slow cooked making the meat very tender and then finished with a puff pastry lid.
- We love Iced Jems’ Cheat’s Cherry Pies which look utterly delicious. Made using pre-made pie filling and pastry they take just a few minutes to assemble ready for baking. Mmmm.
- For something a little different how about The Crazy Kitchen’s Three Tier Roast Pork Dinner Pie? One pie with layers of pork and vegetables, another with stuffing and one with apple.
- This is a new revelation to me but an old favourite of Lushka’s. A rich, creamy and comforting South African Peppermint Pie from Keeper of the Kitchen.
- Using filo pastry Food Stories has made a lovely Spinach, Wild Garlic and Feta Pie, which is apparently a bit like a spanakopita or borek, with a pungent British twist.
- Choclette from Chocolate Log Blog is tempting us with a Chocolate Cashew Pie, a rich decadent three layered chocolate pie. Biscuit crust, filled with dark chocolate ganache and topped off with a creamy confection of cashew nut butter, cream cheese and whipped cream. Heaven on a plate.
- Prepare to be wowed by The Purple Pumpkin Blog’s Lamb Pie. Slow cooked in red wine, with rosemary and redcurrant jelly until tender the lamb is then encased in a buttery pastry and cooked until golden. Is your mouth watering yet?
- A twist on the classic apple pie is My Little Italian Kitchen’s soft and crunchy Apple and Almond Pie. Alida’s pie recipe has jam inside and is finished off with toasted almond flakes for extra crunch.
- Finishing off with one of my favourite comfort foods; a cottage pie, except this Lovely Bubbly Cottage Pie from Snig’s Kitchen is topped with bubble and squeak.