I am constantly trying to come up with something different, and homemade, to keep hungry children satisfied after school. These biscuits make a great snack and can be easily flavoured with other ingredients using just the basic recipe as a guide.
- 350g self raising flour
- 125g butter
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 egg
- Grated zest of one lemon
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp golden syrup
- In a food processor mix the flour and butter and process until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs
- Add the sugar and give a good blitz to mix
- Add the egg, vanilla extract, lemon zest and golden syrup and mix until the mixture starts becoming a ball of dough
- Remove the dough from the processor, bring together into a ball of dough and wrap in cling film
- Chill the dough for at least 30 minutes in the fridge
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/ Gas mark 4
- Tip the dough out onto a floured surface (I do this in small batches so say a third of the dough at a time, putting the rest of the dough back into the fridge until ready to use)
- Roll the dough out to a thickness of between 5 and 7 mm depending on how crunchy you want the biscuits to be.
- Use cookie cutters to cut into the shapes you require
- Bake the biscuits on parchment lined baking trays for 8-10 mins
- Remove from the oven and cool the biscuits on a wire rack.
- Optional: Decorate with royal or glacé icing
Share your sweet and savoury snack recipes…
We would love to see all your favourite snack recipes whether they are sweet or savoury, we had lots of gorgeous recipes in our spring recipes link up last month.
Add your recipe to the linky below and we look forward to sharing them on Twitter, Facebook or Instagram over the next few weeks.