This month’s seasonal round up is by Caroline who blogs at Caroline Makes. Working full-time in a City bank, Caroline bakes and blogs as a creative outlet. She lives in Surrey with her boyfriend and cat and after spending last summer moving house with most of her belongings in storage, is looking forward to making the most of this summer with plenty of barbecues and al fresco eating. Here she shares a round-up of recipes that are perfect for the great outdoors.
Over to Caroline…
Summer is here and it’s all about the al fresco eating. Whether it’s a barbecue at home with friends, a picnic in the park with the kids, or even eating your packed lunch sitting on a bench outside, we all want to make the most of the (hopefully) glorious weather. Spending too much time in the kitchen is a no-no – what you need is recipes that can be thrown together quickly, or made ahead and served cold, or can be packed in a lunch box for taking to a picnic. Here are twenty recipes from around the blogosphere that are perfect for an al fresco meal.
- Jen’s Food – Wholemeal Stilton and Broccoli Pasties. These can be made ahead and frozen and make great picnic food.
- The More Than Occasional Baker – Mini Pork Pies with Quails’ Eggs. Hot water pastry can be tricky but these are so cute they are worth the effort!
- The Gluten Free Alchemist- Cheddar, Gruyere and Bacon Quiche. You shouldn’t have to miss out if you can’t eat gluten, and you can easily switch the flavours of this quiche once you’ve mastered the base.
- Mainly Baking – Cheddar and Jalapeno Cornbread. Leave the sliced white at home – your alfresco lunch can be built around a far more interesting type of bread!
- Baking in Franglais – Strawberry and Orange Friands. Some cakes and desserts are just too messy for a packed lunch or picnic but not these! The flavours are a real taste of summer.
- Green Gourmet Giraffe – Chickpea, Walnut and Cranberry Salad Sandwich. If all you’ve got time for at lunch is a sandwich outside in the park, then you can be so much more adventurous than ham and cheese. Check out this amazing flavour combination.
- I’d Much Rather Bake Than – Tomato-stuffed Cornbread Muffins. A filling and tasty snack you can stash in your bag for when you are out and about.
- All That’s Jas – Pavlova with Fresh Fruit. The ideal dessert for a summer’s day to serve after a barbecue or dinner and a glass of rose in the garden.
- Elizabeth’s Kitchen Diary – Cretan Summer Salad with Figs and Goat’s Cheese. To remind you of holidays past and that salads can be so much more than lettuce, tomato and cucumber!
- Baking Explorer –Swedish Princess Cupcakes. These would go down very well with children on a picnic or playing in the garden – and are much easier to make than the full-size cake.
And 10 more…
- United Cakedom – Bramley apple sausage rolls.
- Lass in the Apron – chive Gruyere gougeres
- Cooking Around the World – spinach and feta tart
- Onions and Paper – spiced burgers.
- Cakeyboi – Jack Julep
- Searching for Spice – Rhubarb and fromage frais frozen hearts
- How to Cook Good Food – spring green quinoa salad.
- Cook Sister – Pattypan, zucchini, halloumi and red pepper kebabs.
- Tin and Thyme – Brie and Chive Lunch Scones.
- Fab Food 4 All – Picnic quiches.