Our top ten today comes from Roma who blogs about sustainable food and lifestyles on Miss Sustainability UK. She loves vegetarian cooking, cheese, wine and coffee. When Roma is not eating, day-dreaming about food or blogging she loves the outdoors and the sun, which she enjoys through her hobbies of cycling, running, sunbathing and camping.
Over to Roma…
If you are anything like me and love a nibbles platter, then I’m sure you will agree that no tray of nibbles is complete without a delicious dip. Summer is the perfect time for dips and nibbles; I love to munch on breadsticks dipped in houmous while the BBQ is heating up or marry carrot sticks with guacamole as an essential to a summer picnic.
Here I have selected my top ten dips from our foodies100 that are ideal for garden parties, picnics, BBQs or just to snack on on whilst watching Wimbledon on TV:
- For a colourful alternative to houmous, this beetroot and wasabi humus by Deena Kakaya looks so bright and tempting, the wasabi is bound to give it an extra kick too!
- The Kitchen Shed’s pesto and guacamole dip has few ingredients, is super easy to make and looks divine. A great change from traditional guacamole, I cannot wait to try it!
- Beetroot is an ideal ingredient for dips due to the intense flavour and smooth consistency, so here we have a beetroot and cannellini bean dip from Fuss Free Flavours.
- Next something a bit different in Recipes from the Pantry’s sorrel wine dip served with grilled pineapple. Wine in a dip – what a brilliant idea, I think it would be the perfect BBQ starter on a hot summer’s day.
- For those on a pre-holiday health kick I feature the healthy spinach dip from Amuse your Bouche. Packed full of flavour and staring the super food spinach it will definitely liven up your celery sticks.
- On hot summers evenings this cool mint and Indian gooseberry dip looks perfect to enjoy with poppadum’s or naan bread, thanks Chitra’s Healthy Kitchen.
- Veggie Deserts gives us a simple garlic and dill dip which she serves with marinated grilled cucumbers. This looks yummy because although the dip is simple the powerful garlic flavour will go perfectly with the cool cucumber.
- Here we have a traditional tzatziki recipe, I like this recipe because Greedy Gourmet recommends the perfect wine to pair it with, so that you get your perfect sun downer drink and nibbles combination.
- I am a massive fan of garlic; the taste makes me feel like I am on holiday in some hot European county. The combination of smoky roasted aubergine, garlic and oil olive in Cooksister’s garlicky roasted aubergine dip is bound to take your taste buds to somewhere in the Mediterranean.
- To finish off I leave you with an indulgent take on my favourite dip, houmous. A Mummy Too gives us a recipe for a seeded avocado chilli houmous in which the creamy avocado perfectly complements the chunky chickpeas and crunchy seeds all rounded off with a chilli kick.
Enjoy these delicious dips and enjoy the sun this summer. Check Roma’s blog Miss Sustainability UK and follow her on twitter and Instagram where you might catch pictures of her enjoying these dips, and where she posts pictures of yummy vegetarian food.