Does anyone else feel a little cheated with Easter being so early this year? We’ve got ages to look forward to anything else now. I blinked, it rained, thundered and Easter was over! But from a food lover’s point of view we can now envisage, almost smell, the lovely home grown produce of spring and summer in the not too distant future. Thank goodness!
This delicious recipe of spicy baked eggs with spinach and tomatoes is perfect for breakfast, lunch or dinner. It is quick and easy, and if you are watching the pennies it is a very budget-friendly recipe.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 400g tins of chopped tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped finely (or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 300g spinach
- 4 eggs
- Preheat the grill
- Heat the oil and on a medium heat gently cook the onion, garlic, chilli and paprika for a few minutes.
- Add the spinach and tomatoes to the pan and cook until slightly reduced.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Tip the mixture into a large heatproof dish or individual ramekins.
- Make four wells in the mixture with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each hole.
- Grill on a medium heat for 5 to 6 minutes until the eggs are cooked.
- Finish with a generous sprinkling of black pepper and serve with chunky bread or freshly toasted bread.