Turmeric is one of those sometimes forgotten spices but which has so many amazing qualities we thought we really must highlight it, especially as many Foodies100 bloggers love using it too. I try and put it in everything, it has a subtle peppery taste but it makes its way into scrambled eggs, porridge, fried mushrooms, smoothies as well as any stews or casseroles.
A member of the ginger family, turmeric is best known for its anti-inflammatory properties, however it is also an anti-oxidant, a natural antiseptic (yes sprinkle a little on cuts and burns), helps with depression, Alzheimers, lowering cholesterol and so so much more. A little tip, make sure you also have black pepper with your turmeric as the body finds it hard to absorb but the black pepper gives it more of a fighting chance.
For more information Hari Ghotra has a whole post dedicated to the virtues of turmeric.
We love these recipes which all use turmeric…
- How about a turmeric cinnamon hot chocolate from London Paleo Kitchen, this dairy and refined sugar free drink is also made with another favorite of mine, cacao powder.
- Gluten Free Blogger’s cold busting butternut squash and chicken soup with ginger and turmeric.
- Hedi Hearts makes a delicious turmeric rice which is packed full of lovely fresh flavours.
- This recipe from Food To Glow is teeming with goodness as well as looking amazing and oh so tasty, turmeric and black pepper brunch farinata, it is also gluten and dairy free.
- What a great way to start the day, Everyday Healthy Recipes’ banana turmeric pancakes. Mmmm.
- Homemade with Mess makes smoked haddock kedgeree with a mix of herbs and spices including turmeric.
- Garlic Matters has a recipe for an aromatic mind boggling turmeric basil detox tea with a green tea base.
- Another delicious drink, perfect for a winter immune booster is this healthy chai latte -cinnamon, ginger and turmeric from Franglais Kitchen. It is also vegan and dairy free.
- I love hummus and this turmeric hummus recipe from Rough Measures looks so good.
- If you have never made your own baked beans then why not try Veggie Desserts easy baked beans with turmeric, tasty and healthy using store cupboard ingredients.
Do you have a favourite recipe for using turmeric? We would love you to share it with us.
Pin for later: