Food blogs are obviously a great platform for sharing your favourite recipes and creations, but have you ever thought about how you can make money whilst you are doing that? Yes, there really is money to be made at the same time as doing something you love and it doesn’t all have to feel like hard work.
Five ways to earn money from your food blog…
- Affiliate links. Are you always sharing your favourite gadgets or ingredients in your blog posts? If you are, add affiliate links to the posts, and start earning money every time someone clicks on that link and purchases something from the site you’ve sent them to. Try joining Amazon, Webgains or Affilate Window. Or, go to the sites you love and see if they have an affiliate programme, you will usually find this information at the bottom of their site.
- Adverts. You can have affiliate adverts but they won’t guarantee you an income- you have to rely on people clicking on them and then purchasing something. However, if you can sell space on your blog it can prove very lucrative and this will usually be paid up front per month, six months or even more sometimes.
- Google Adsense. Unlike the individual adverts mentioned in tip two, there is no pressure trying to sell ad space with Google Adsense. Very easy to join, Google Adsense matches adverts to individual readers, meaning they are more likely to click on the targeted ad than a general one you have placed on your blog. You do need to have quite a large number of visitors to your blog for this to generate a good income though. One note, don’t saturate your blog with too many ads, it can be very off putting to readers.
- Sponsored Posts. These can be a huge source of income, especially if you are creating recipes and photography for clients. Sponsored posts can be a lot of work so don’t undersell yourself, creating unique recipes, making them, photographing them and then writing the content up (and giving the client a link) can sometimes take days, so make sure you are being paid appropriately for all that work. For an idea on what to charge check out our UK Influencer Rate Card 2016 information.
- Write an E-Book. A blog can be an effective platform from which to launch a book or e-book. Not only will it allow you to discover the content people want, but a blog is also a great (free) way to advertise your book. For tips on how to get started, Scottish Mum wrote an informative post, ‘From Food Blog To E-Book‘, for Foodies100.
How do you make money from your food blog? Do you have any other ideas to add? We would love to hear them.
Pin for later: