Growing your own fruit and veg: Success stories

veg

How many of you attempted to ‘grow your own’ fruit and vegetables during lockdown? Maybe you grew some herbs in a garden pot, made a veg patch in your garden, or took on a local allotment pitch … what have you grown? We discovered we’re really good at growing squashes and pumpkins! What about you?

veg

“I don’t have green fingers but found that spinach and lettuce was really easy to grow in a vegetable patch in our garden. Fast-growing too so great if you don’t have much patience. This year, we’re giving tomatoes a go!”

Submitted by Petra, A Mum Reviews

veg

“We have had varying success and failure at our allotment over the years.

If you’re late to the game and want to start now, don’t rule out a veg patch type order. We reviewed one a few years ago and it did really well. It usually works out cheaper than the garden centre for plugs, so is worth considering if you want to grow a variety of items.”

Submitted by Tina, Mothergeek

veg

“Currently got tomatoes, pumpkins, radishes, chillies, peppers growing in the greenhouse, as well as some herbs to replace old ones in the herb garden, have decided to make a giant raised bed for the outdoor veg this year as we had terrible trouble with snails eating them all last year, apart from the sugar snap peas which kept us going for months. The kids have also had success growing things from scraps.”

Submitted by Mandi, Big Family Organised Chaos

veg

“I grow most of our vegetables on our allotment each year. Last year I grew loads of chillies, tomatoes, runner beans and carrots which all made it into my various fermented vegetable sauces. We grow beetroot from June to the end of October, potatoes, tomatoes, beans, courgettes, sweetcorn and much more. We love our piece of heaven tucked away in the top corner of the allotment.”

Submitted by Heidi, Kitchen Talk and Travels

veg

“I have successfully grown tomatoes and spinach last year, in my small garden. I ended up with a glorious production of tomatoes, which I ate fresh but also pickled and made sauce with. This year I am going big, using all the space I have, plus pots and planters. I have already planted cabbage, spinach, potatoes, broccoli, chard, pak choi, fennel and sprouts, which are growing nicely so far. In pots I have strawberries, which are full of flowers at the moment. In my greenhouse I am growing seedlings of tomatoes, peppers and aubergines, which I am looking forward to plant in the new large planters I just bought.”

Submitted by Joanna, The World in my Pocket

veg

“We’ve been growing our own garlic from the previous year’s crop for nearly twenty years. It’s phenomenal and keeps us supplied for the whole year. Haven’t bought any garlic in all that time. And we use a lot of garlic.”

Submitted by Choclette, Tin and Thyme

veg

“Last year I got through lockdown aided by growing my own vegetables. It was partly due to the fear of shops not being able to meet demand. Remember all the empty shelf pictures and the crying nurse? So this year I’m growing more of what did well last year from seed, i.e., courgette, tomato and pumpkin (have mould resistant seeds this year) and have added aubergine, mixed peppers, chilli peppers, cabbage, lettuce and strawberries to the mix. I’ve also bought whitecurrant, blackcurrant, raspberry and Blueberry plants so hoping to make some jam with my home-grown fruits.”

Submitted by Camilla, Fab Food 4 All

veg

“We had just re-done our garden when lockdown happened last year, and had lots of gaps in the borders with no plants and no means of getting hold of any, so I grew vegetables in them. We grew everything from seed and had potatoes, tenderstem broccoli, tomatoes, runner beans, green beans and chard. As well as giving us lovely fresh veg it looked really pretty too – lots of edible plants have lovely flowers! I’ve grown my own veg in the past, but I’ve never mixed them up with ornamental plants before. Doing it this way made me realise just how easy it is to tuck things in and really make the most of the space you have.”

Submitted by Catherine, Growing Family

Tracey is the Contributing Editor for Foodies100, Tots100, Hibs100 and Trips100. She also blogs at PackThePJs. Tracey writes mainly about family travel; from days out to road trips with her pet dogs, to cruises and long-haul tropical destinations. Her family consists of her husband Huw, a medical writer, Millie-Mae (14), Toby (12) and Izzy and Jack the spaniels.

So You Know...

As you've likely heard and seen, there's an increasing focus on the authenticity of follower growth and engagement on social platforms across the Influencer Marketing community. The platforms themselves have taken measures to deter inauthentic activity and brands now more closely scrutinise the audiences of the influencers with whom they are partnering.

The Flea Network has implemented a system that will detect abnormal spikes in following and engagement, and flag these properties. Of course, such spikes can often be attributed to viral posts or high-profile brands that bring greater exposure to some content.

If one of your social accounts is flagged by our system without an obvious reason, we may reach out to you for assistance in understanding it. If we find any influencer has artificially inflated their audience size or engagement using paid acquisition or automated, third-party tools, we will remove them permanently from our influencer community.

Feel free to reach out to us at bloggers@fleaenterprises.com with any questions or comments.

Thank you!